Smart home automation systems are on the rise. As our lives become more technologically intertwined, the idea of integrating features into our homes has grown in attraction. Smart homes are those that are equipped with technology which allows homeowners to remotely control one or more device or appliance. By utilizing technology that has programmable settings, you can change lighting, set your alarm, play music, and even lock your doors with the touch of a button. While the idea seems great, smart homes do have a fairly substantial upfront cost. When viewing long-term finances, are smart homes worth the investment? We think so.
The Primary Benefits of Smart Homes
Each home is unique and each smart home can be equipped with different features. The great thing about home automation is you can add as much or as little as you’d like. If you’re unsure about whether or not you’ll enjoy having a smart home, you can start small and continue to build. In fact, if you own an Alexa or Nest, you already have smart home features. As you might expect, many homeowners who add integrated technology quickly come to realize the appeal. Things that used to cause stress or anxiety are now easy to manage day or night, near or far. The primary benefits of smart homes include convenience, communication, safety, and savings.
- Convenience – one of the best things about automated home technology is the added convenience that it brings to everyday life. You’ll be able to turn appliances and gadgets off and on without getting up and see who’s at the door from wherever you are. Using two-way technology, you can even communicate with someone while you’re in a different state. With streamlined functionality that’s accessible from your smart phone, you’ll start to wonder how you survived before.
- Communication – certain smart home technology allows you to communicate with members of your household regardless of what room you’re in. By installing voice assistants equipped with intercom features, you’ll never have to scream up the stairs again. Many of these intercoms also double as speakers that can provide you with house wide music. If you don’t want to integrate voice control, that’s okay too. All smart home features can be modified to fit your preferences.
- Safety – with advanced home security features, you’ll increase the safety in your home tenfold. By simply having a security system, you lower your chances of experiencing a break in by half. With smart home features such as cameras, 24/7 monitoring, and live recordings, you’ll reduce that number even more. Certain appliances are also available to help ensure that your loved ones are safe in case of a medical emergency or fall. This is a great option for those concerned about elderly family members living alone.
- Savings – every smart home appliance offers different benefits. Some of the more enticing ones are those that can save you hundreds of dollars a year. By utilizing smart home technology that allows you to control your thermostat, lighting, and even sprinkler system from afar, you’ll stop wasting money on inefficient home regulation. If you want to save the most money, consider looking into smart solar panels.
Due to rising popularity in smart home systems, if you have yours hardwired into your home, it will drastically increase your property value. People are starting to look for homes that are already equipped with what thy need—close to 70% of homes on the market today are using at least one smart home feature. If you’re planning to sell in the future, this alone makes installation worth the effort as many home buyers have stated that they’re willing to pay more for integrated smart features. The sooner you install this exciting technology, the higher your return on investment. Eventually, smart homes are going to be the norm anyway.
Key Features to Include
While many homes have at least one smart feature or appliance, chances are you’re not benefiting as much as you could. If you want to get the most out of your investment, it’s important to include a few key features. The ones in the highest demand are features that revolve around security, energy management, and entertainment.
Many people find that smart homes are worth the investment due to the security features alone. The accessibility and added peace of mind that comes from remote access, monitoring, and real-time connectivity to emergency systems makes these features even better.
- Smoke Detectors – with smart smoke detectors, you’ll have increased protection without having to deal with annoying, irrelevant alarms. Many smart smoke detectors can even tell you what’s wrong through your mobile device.
- Door Locks – smart door locks give you the ability to both lock and unlock your door from the touch of a button. As long as you’re connected to WiFi, you’ll be able to let neighbors in to care for your pets, lock the door behind them, and avoid costly calls to the locksmith. This also gives you peace of mind when you’re on your way out of town and can’t remember if you locked the door behind you.
- Security Systems – by adding an integrated home security system, you’ll feel even safer when you’re at home and while you’re away. Smart security systems allow you to access cameras and arm/disarm your home from your devices, giving you a strong peace of mind 24/7. Add a video doorbell for the ultimate security features.
- Medical Alert – if you have an elderly family member living with you, or if they’re on their own, innovative medical alerts can sync with your system and provide real-time monitoring and location alerts that are integrated with first responders.
Arguably, the best way that smart home technologies save you money is through the energy management accessories. In fact, most of this technology quickly pays itself off.
- Thermostats – one of the most popular features of smart home energy management are smart thermostats. This allows you to control your home’s air conditioning and heat from your smartphone, regardless of where you are in the world. Smart thermostats can help homeowners save up to 23% on annual energy costs.
- Lighting – similarly, smart home lighting fixtures give you the opportunity to turn lights on and off whether you’re at home or not. Not only does this help increase your security, it saves you money. You can set your lights to a schedule or control them from your mobile device. This can help you save upwards of $250 each year.
If you’re looking to add some exciting entertainment features to your home, smart technology can make things even better. Adding integrated AI systems like Alexa or Nest give you control over your home’s entertainment center and more. You can improve your audio and video systems or add a hardwired sound system for both inside and outside your home.
Are Smart Homes Worth the Investment?
While everyone has different preferences, it seems that smart homes are well worth the investment in both short-term and long-term perspectives. Smart homes installed now can help you cut back on energy costs and save you money each year. Depending on how long you have your smart home, these savings alone could end up covering the start-up costs. Plus, you’ll improve your peace of mind and make your everyday life easier. In the future, if you decide to sell, you’ll be able to get more for your home and appeal to a larger market of buyers. If you’re not sure whether or not you’re ready to integrate your home with more technology, start small with a thermostat or security system to test things out. You can always add more later on.
Finding an Electrician for Your Smart Home Installation
If you are ready to add one or more smart features or automation to your home, it’s important to find an electrician that has experience in smart home technology. At Viper Electric, all of our electricians are well versed in installing reliable smart home appliances. We aim to pair simplicity with high quality work to make sure that your smart home is optimized to help you with whatever you need. Viper Electric installs smart home accessories such as lighting, media, window treatments, TV access, security features, and more. We also work with businesses to install commercial automation features that give your company access to all of its energy and automation needs through an integrated workspace using one centralized system.
Viper Electric is a modern-day business comprised of certified electricians who excel in smart home and business automation. We currently service the Northwest Arkansas area and are available to help with all of your smart home needs. If you can dream it, we can do it. To learn more about our services, call us today at 479-305-2296.